Monday 16 May 2016

The Young Elites by Marie Lu

Goodreads Rating: 3.95 stars

My rating: 4.5 stars

Okay Marie Lu, tell me your secrets cause this book was totally Elite. Like can you make an elitist book society and let me join?
First things first, lets take a minute to appreciate Adelina's name. So sophisticated, methinks. Much like her name Adelina was a character I adored. She had so much strength. I really related to her and the fight that burns within her.
To me this story was just so original. I was hesitant at first, we've all read plenty of stories about heroes and superpowers. I wasn't sure if this would really be all that interesting. But my God. I could not put this down. I devoured it in about 3 hours. I regret nothing. I particularly loved Adelina's power as a malfetto. It was so intriguing. I have always been intrigued by tricks of deception and I adored this new twist.
The contrast between Teren a Malfetto and the Young Elites was brilliant. Very crafty of Lu to not just show the Daggers as these perfect heroes doing right with their powers but also including another side in what Teren does with his powers.
Raffaele. I didn't get Raffaele. He was so emotionally detached which drew me in and made me want to know more but I don't feel like we ever really got to see the true Raffaele. He was depicted as so poised and perfect but there was clearly more to him. His feelings towards Adelina made my head spin. One minute he's kind, attentive and adoring and the next he's not exactly her biggest fan. I just couldn't figure out which side of that was fake which was incredibly frustrating.
Adelina's relationship with Enzo was also headspinning. From the minute they met I was pretty sure there would be some romantic connection and I wasn't disappointed. But the storyline of Adelina reminding Enzo of an old flame seemed lame, unnecessary and forced. I don't feel it added anything worthwhile to the overall story.
I was pleasantly surprised by Adelina's sister Violetta's involvement in the story. At first though she was relevant in the story I just found her contribution a bit of a let down. But the way Lu weaved her in at the end was surprisingly beautiful. There was something about Violetta that made me want to know more so I'm glad we got to see more of her.
I cannot wait to get my hands on the next book in this series. I want more. Give me more.

Was anyone else intrigued by Violetta?

Shania Rose x


No comments:

Post a Comment